Two teachers in their 50s lost their lives in a violent attack yesterday on a school in the city of Malmö, Swedish police announced.
An 18-year-old schoolboy has been arrested on suspicion of murder. Local media reported that the victims had been stabbed and that no firearms had been used in the attack.
Two female Malmö Latin School staff were taken to hospital by ambulance but lost their lives from injuries after the afternoon attack.
At today’s press conference the police said that the suspect was arrested 10 minutes after giving the alarm.
Officers had come to the school where no problems had been previously reported, and on the third floor found the two injured women and the suspect. The local network Aftonbladet reported that he was found in possession of a knife and an ax.
The 18-year-old had no criminal record or suspicious behavior, but police are still investigating.
Officials are still investigating his motives as no connection has been reported so far between the suspected attacker and the two victims.
Malmö police chief Petra Stenkula said the suspect’s home was being searched and other students were being interviewed for recorded footage that may exist.
They are also investigating media reports that it was the attacker himself who notified police, admitting to killing two women.
At the time of the incident about 50 people, students and teachers were in the building, police were notified at 17:12 on Monday.
The student’s teachers said the officers had come to the school with the guns drawn and ordered them to stay locked in classrooms for several hours until the territory was secured.
“It’s a terrible thing,” director Fredrik Hemmensjö told the network Aftonbladet .
Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson said she had received the news with “sadness and shock”.